My 8 yr. old German shepherd died on Monday, January 19, 2009 from overdose of anesthesia. I purchased him at age 3 for protection. I would never again allow any future dog I may own to go under anesthesia for teeth cleaning. My dog had his teeth cleaned with this same vet before. Fargo had all the pre-blood work that morning and last week when we took him in for consultation our vet commented his heartbeat was slow, although he was excited showing he was in great heart health. Here is the story the vet told us. He gave him the minimal amount of pre-meds and since he was not groggy enough, he put the mask on him for a few seconds. Immediately, he saw his chest pound once, then his heart stopped, this happened again, then he went into cardiac arrest-meaning his heart rate accelerated, then stopped for good. He then gave Fargo epinephrine and some other injection into his iv. He did this again, as there was no response. He then did palpitations working on him for a total of 20 minutes. He was gone. I am heartbroken and angry with the vet and will never put another pet through that at such great risk of death. There are alternatives to surgery that I am now aware of just by doing a couple searches on the internet. I only wish I would have known of them prior to this. The number of dogs dying from overdose of anesthesia is 1 in 400 and can be as high as 1 in 200. For all of you who were 'lucky' enough your dog survived anesthesia, I would hope alternatives to anesthesia for teeth cleaning are something you would look into. Good oral health is extremely important. As for me, as I stated earlier, I will never put any future dog I may own at such high risk of death for teeth cleaning. Anesthesia= Life or Death for dogs and nothing else. I am trying to warn as many people as I can, so you may see my post on other sites. Thank you for taking time to read my story as I continue to grieve losing my absolute best friend.